History of Winkler County Memorial HospitalFor over 70 years, Winkler County Memorial Hospital has been dedicated to meeting the health care needs of the citizens of Winkler County and its surrounding areas.
Prior to 1948, Winkler County residents in need of hospital care would drive over 30 miles to either Pecos or Odessa to receive treatment.
The following time line demonstrates the evolution of health care in Winkler County over the years:
1948: Two private practices closed down for the opening of Winkler County Memorial Hospital. The original building had approximately 35 beds. As a full-service facility, it consisted of ER, Surgery, Medical, Obstetrics, Laboratory, and Dietary Departments. Dr. Cecil Robinson, Dr. Wyatt and Dr. McClure were a few of the facilities first staff.
1950: The hospital's ability to provide quality health care for the growing community was increased by the addition of 8 new providers. In addition, a Physical Therapy Department was added to the facility.
1953: The South Medical Wing was opened with mostly semi-private rooms. This brought the room count to about 54.
1958: A North Medical Wing was added which brought the bed count up to 75. The medical wing now looked like a rectangle. 1958 also brought the first class of LVNs, and the Hospital Auxiliary Program was formed.
1960: A new Respiratory Therapy Department was created.
1962: The Business Office was added and the Obstetrics Department received renovation. At the time the bed capacity was up to 85 beds.
1968: A new Intensive Coronary Care Unit was opened, complete with new cardiac monitors and defibrillators.
1982: The Hospital completed the new Emergency and Radiology Departments.
1995: The Rural Health Care Clinic was added to the Hospital.
1998: The Hospital celebrated 50 years of service to the citizens of Winkler County and the surrounding areas.
2000: In October, Winkler County Memorial Hospital gained the designation as a Critical Access Hospital.
2003: New ADA compliant doors were installed for the main entrance, the ER and the South entrance of the hospital.
2004: The Rural Health Care Clinic was expanded and moved across the street behind the hospital to 821 Myer Lane.
2008: Winkler County constructed the new 36,500 square-foot hospital which was funded by an $11,975,000 million bond issue.
2011: The Hospital earned designation as a Level IV trauma center.
2015: The County constructed a new state-of-the art, 3,150 sq. ft. Winkler County Rural Health Clinic to better meet the needs of the citizens of Winkler County.
Today the staff carries on the tradition of delivering high-quality health care close to home by offering short-term recovery care, emergency and diagnostic services.
Designated as a Level IV Trauma Center, the staff is well prepared to offer extensive health care services in a modern hospital. This 19-bed facility boasts state-of-the art patient rooms with 4 rooms specifically designated for the Swing Bed Program.
Winkler County Hospital District has a proud tradition of providing outstanding medical care, not only to the citizens of Winkler County, but to people in the surrounding areas. The Hospital is certified by Medicare as a non-profit, Critical Access Hospital. The facility offers full Laboratory services, Pharmacy Services, Physical Therapy Services, and Radiology Services as well as a Swing Bed program.